The holidays are over. The tree has been removed. The lights have been packed away until next December. As you can see by the photo, we’ve even had a decent snow storm. Brodie loves watching and playing in the snow as long as it’s not taller than him. The magic is over and we have to transition back to reality.
In our small little world, 2017 has already started off with a bang! My husband and I have new jobs and we are closing on a new house. We are absolutely thrilled with the idea of having our little slice of heaven tucked in the woods down a dirt road. We are looking forward to sipping our coffee on the front porch in the mornings and drinking a beer at the fire pit with friends on the weekend.
Over the holidays, I made one of my husband’s favorite treats – homemade Chex Mix. His Mom made it every year and it was always a huge hit for the entire family. It took me awhile to find some vegan Worcestershire sauce, but I finally found some! In fact, I actually found 2 varieties! I was very excited to find this baking staple as I also use in my favorite gravy recipe. Follow my tweaked version of the traditional recipe for a tasty, vegan snack.
Homemade Vegan Chex Mix
6 Tbsp of vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
6 Tbsp of vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 Tsp of seasoned salt
2 Tsp of garlic powder
2 Tsp of onion powder
3 cups of corn Chex
3 cups of wheat Chex
3 cups of rice Chex
2 cups of dry roasted and lightly salted peanuts
1 cup of sesame sticks
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt the vegan butter. Whisk in all of the seasonings once the butter has melted.
- Combine all other ingredients in a large roasting pan. I find it easiest to just purchase one of those throw away pans from the dollar store.
- Pour butter and seasonings all over the cereal mix and combine.
- Bake for 15 minutes then stir. Repeat this process for an hour making sure to stir every 15 minutes.